- This event has passed.
Rick Wright at Camerawork Gallery
October 26, 2019 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Rick Wright, Vessels of the Late Petroleum Age: Evidence of Ancient Earth
October 26 – November 29, 2019
Artist Talk: Saturday, October 26: 4pm-5pm
Reception: Saturday, October 26: 5pm-6pm
301 N. Graham Street, Portland, OR 97227
Located in Lorenzen Conference Center – Legacy Emanuel Medical Center Campus.
9am – 6pm, Monday-Saturday, Sunday, 10am-4pm
Free off street parking available, Stair and elevator access, TriMet Routes 4, 24 and 44, ADA accessible
Event is free and open to the public
Philadelphia photographer Rick Wright inhabits the persona of a c. 4300 CE archaeologist: a scientist stumbling onto a cache of preserved vessels crafted out of an unknown synthetic material. This Dada series of catalogued “artifacts” explores how a future society might interpret contemporary plastic containers. The project is driven by Wright’s creative lens work; the objects taking on new form, expression, and meaning. There are 27 digital photographs (18 on display at Camerawork Gallery) in the collection—printed with tri-tone pigment ink on Hahnemühle Bamboo paper at 12” x 18”.
ABOUT THE ARTIST Rick Wright practices photography as a malleable and sculptural medium, stating “photography suffers the unfortunate condition of looking like reality and remains the first thing to transcend as a photographer.” He trained first as an oil painter at Princeton and Columbia Universities (BA and MFA), then later morphed into a photographer with studies at ICP in NY with Nan Goldin, Susan Meiselas, Dorit Cypis, and Danny Lyon. Wright is a Philadelphia-based photographer working as a fine artist, an architectural photographer, and an instructor.
The Vessels of the Late Petroleum Age are currently featured on the cover of LensWork #144 magazine (Sept.-Oct. 2019); along with a 16-page spread. The work has also appeared online in Float Magazine and garnered a Fleisher Faculty Fellowship Award. Wright is currently working on a book of the series with a professional writer.
Several of his photographs reside in permanent collections: Houston Museum of Fine Art, Philadelphia Museum of Art, The Creon Collection, Johnson & Johnson Collection, and The University of Pennsylvania. Wright keeps his studio in Philadelphia (past 13 years) and teaches photography at Fleisher Art Memorial, Peter’s Valley School of Art & Craft, and The Halide Project.
“Photography is 93% of my life. The other 7% is occupied by typewriter repair, short story writing, and life model sketching. I chose photography over painting for its speed, joy, and unexpected bends of reality.”—Rick Wright