- This event has passed.
PhotoZone Gallery’s 30th Annual Juried Photography Show CALL FOR ENTRIES
July 1, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
PhotoZone Gallery’s 30th Annual Juried Photography Show
CALL FOR ENTRIES
IN PERSON APPLICATION ONLY, NOT ONLINE
Bring photos framed with hanging wire only (no tape and string or sawtooth hangers).
To: The Emerald Art Center, 500 Main Street, Springfield, Oregon.
On: Saturday June 30th, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm.
or Sunday July 1st, 11:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Here’s how to enter.
• The limit is 2 photographs per person. Fee due on delivery is $15 for one print or $25 for two prints. Cash or Check only.
• The finished work must be brought in person to The Emerald Art Center at 500 Main Street in Springfield either on Saturday, June 30th from 11- 4 pm or Sunday July 1st from 11- 4 pm. If you cannot deliver personally, you may have someone else deliver them for you.
• Prints must be framed and ready to hang by wires firmly attached to the back. Glass is not mandatory, but be aware that work can be damaged without glass or plexiglas.
• Frames can be no larger than 36″ on the long dimension. Frames must be in good solid condition.
• PhotoZone reserves the right to exclude submissions which, in its judgement, may be objectionable or inappropriate for the Juried Show setting.
• Unless marked ‘not for sale’ all work received will be considered for sale at the price set by the entrant. The Gallery will retain a 40% commission on all sales.
• The images will be juried by about 10 members of the PhotoZone Gallery immediately after closing on Sunday the 1st of June.
• Artists will be called on Monday or Tuesday after the jurying. Work not accepted will need to be picked up by the end of the week. Note the gallery will be closed on Wednesday, July 4th. The show will be at the Emerald Art Center, 500 Main Street. Hours are 11-4 Tuesday through Saturday.
• Prize winners will be decided by the jurors. Grand Prize will be $300 followed by $200 and $100 respectively. There are at least three additional known cash prizes awarded by individuals and outside groups. Various local businesses are providing other prizes. Typically they are gift certificates.
The show will run through July 27th and must be picked up on Saturday the 28th from 11-4 pm. Please have someone pick up your work for you if you cannot be present.
An opening reception will be held at the gallery on Friday July 13th from 5:00 to 8:00 PM. Refreshments will be provided.
Whether you are a seasoned exhibit photographer or are submitting photos for public viewing for the very first time, we hope these notes will help you understand how the show is judged, and what, in our eyes, makes a good photograph!
Photo, mat, frame and glass (if any) should be clean and free of defects. Mat windows should be cut to professional standards. Choice of frame material, and size and color of mat(s) should be appropriate to artwork in a gallery setting. Overall presentation should contribute to, and not distract from the appreciation of the photograph.
Positives: Composition simplicity and clarity; Interesting subject placement, graphic shapes, texture, patterns, contrasts, leading lines, portrayal of rhythm and motion; novel/interesting use of color; novel viewpoint, portrays emotion or dramatic moment, goes beyond surface representation; suggestive or metaphorical, evokes a sense of the ironic, humorous, fantastical, tragic, beautiful, etc.
Negatives: trite scene, clichéd subject matter, lack of unique view or execution; lack of clarity due to intrusion of negative space and extraneous elements; color(s) or tones that are distracting or arbitrarily chosen.
Appropriate exposure, lighting, white balance, focus, lens length, depth of field, perspective, camera position. Appropriate control of color, contrast, sharpening, highlights and shadows.
Choice of colors, tones or tint contribute to the expressive intent and effect of the image. Skill and crafts-person-ship in the production of traditional sliver prints or alternative techniques such as pinhole photography, hand-coated papers, etc.
THE JUDGING PROCESS
The show is typically juried by 10 or more members of the PhotoZone gallery, generally applying the criteria above. After an initial round in which all entries are examined and rated, top-scoring images are viewed again, discussed, and voted on for the various awards.
For more info:
Call: 541 729 3572 for info.
PhotoZone Gallery website: http://members.efn.org/~fotozone/
PhotoZone Blog: http://photozonegallery.blogspot.com