- This event has passed.
Jennifer L. Stoots, Follow The Money
March 15, 2018 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm$10
March 15th, 2018 from 7:00-9:00pm
Disjecta Contemporary Art Center
8371 N. Interstate Ave.
Portland, OR 97217
TICKETS $10 (pre-event) / $15 (at door)
Join us for an evening educational discussion, Follow the Money, presented by Jennifer L. Stoots, AAA. This is the first in a quarterly event series produced by Photolucida that will take place in the Disjecta Arts Building in Historic Kenton.
This presentation will briefly review:
- The evolution of the Western art market.
- The motivations of invention and the birth of the photo industry.
- The “modern medium” and its acceptance as an art form.
- Snowballing of the photography market in the 1970s and 1980s, when there was a flourish of photography galleries in the US and major auction houses dedicated departments exclusively to photo.
- Top selling photographers and photographs—auction records and what’s interesting about the markets where those top tier prices were achieved.
- The current landscape of the fine art photography market, including a discussion of art fairs and online platforms.
Stoots earned her Bachelor’s in Art History from the University of Oregon (1994), her Master’s in the History of Art & Design from Pratt Institute (2013), and her appraising credentials from NYU’s Appraisal Studies Program for Fine and Decorative Arts (2002).